How do I use Expert Advisors in MetaTrader 4?
How to Add an EA to the Data Folder:
- In the MetaTrader 4 platform please navigate to File --> Open Data Folder
- Expert Advisors in MetaTrader 4
- Once the folder opens double click on “MQL4”
- Then select the “Experts” folder
- Copy the EA that you want to install into the “Experts” folder that opened and contains some pre-installed EAs.
Please Note: After installing a new EA make sure to restart the MetaTrader 4 platform.
How to Activate an EA:
- Drag the EA from the Expert Advisors section of the Navigator window onto the chart. This should open the settings window
- In the settings window navigate to the “Common” tab. Please make sure that “Allow Live Trading” and “Allow DLL imports” are both checked.
- Then press “OK”
- In the top tool bar you will see a button that says “AutoTrading” Make sure that it is clicked.
If all steps were followed correctly the top right corner of the chart should have a “smiley face”
In the top tool bar you will see a button that says “AutoTrading” Make sure that it is clicked.
Please Note: Any third party EA’s could have special instructions. Make sure to contact the source where the EA came from for proper instructions on the particular EA.
Please Note: If after following these steps you still experiencing issues with your EA, please:
- Ensure that you are following all the steps
- Restart the platform
- If you still cannot add your EA or it is not working correctly, please contact us at email@example.com, via live chat, or via phone at +1 212 897-7660
Links to third-party sites are provided for your convenience and for informational purposes only. FXCM bears no liability for the accuracy, content, or any other matter related to the external site or for that of subsequent links, and accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss or damage arising from the use of this or any other content. Such sites are not within our control and may not follow the same privacy, security, or accessibility standards as ours. Please read the linked websites' terms and conditions.