How can I add a Trailing Stop on MetaTrader 4?
To add a Trailing Stop to your trade:
- Make sure that you have an initial Stop set before adding a Trailing Stop.
- Right click on the order you want to add the Trailing Stop.
- Choose Trailing Stop
- Select “Custom” to enter a number of points for your trailing stop. This number will indicate the number of points the market will have to move in your favor, before your stop moves that same number of points. Each point is equal to 1/10th of a PIP. For example, if you want a stop of 10 pips, you must enter "100."
A few notes about Trailing Stops:
- Trailing Stops are held on your MetaTrader 4 (MT4) platform, not FXCM servers. Meaning, your platform will need to be on in order for them to activate and move your stop.
- MT4 Trailing Stops will not activate until the market moves in your favor. If the market only moves against you, there will not be a Stop Level Set, unless you previously had one.
- 1 Point represents 1/10th of a Pip.